Saturday, June 10, 2006

Nest Disaster, Dove redux, Flycatcher

So, Virginia mentions that she saw a small bird go down my chimney. I had ash in the fireplace from the last fire of the season, so I decided to clean it. Here's a picture of what I found.













You can see the eggs in that photo, but you can't see the half nest I found in the ash. Here's a shot of the nest and eggs.





When I looked up the chimney to see what I could see, I found another part of the nest and another egg on a ledge just above the fireplace. Here's a shot of the whole thing.


These eggs were obviously very new when they fell. A dried yolk was still intact.





The nest was 8 cm in diameter and the eggs were just under 2 cm in length and white. The material in the nest was leaf stems from a pecan tree, The bottom of the nest was pretty none existent. I wonder what bird it might have been?

Later, I saw what looked like a nest in the Elm tree across the street. It was a Dove's nest. Perhaps a replacement for the one lost 2 weeks ago?



Finally, I saw this flycatcher in the elm at evening feeding time. Great Crested? He moved about so quickly, this was the best shot I could get.

No comments: