Saturday, June 10, 2006

6-3-06 House Sparrows and Grackles

While over at Mike and Barbara's looking at the owl family, I noticed many a hose sparrow landing on the phone lines near the owl tree. I had assumed they were heading for the nest they have in the attic vent of M&B's house. I was wrong.


They were heading to a nest they had made in a woodpecker hole in a lower branch of the owl tree.

That didn't seem a real good place to raise young, cuz owls have no problem eating sparrow, physically or ethically. And sure enough Barbara reports that she's seen the male owl attack the nest. The sparrows are still hanging in there though.

Later I was captivated by the grackles. This Juvenile was in the grass with his head way over to one side. What was he doing? Is that food in his/her mouth?

Then two Juveniles were following mom around begging for food as she was trying to bathe and drink. They can fly and all but they still demand to be fed. I notice the moms aren't having any of that this week. Juvies are own their own.

Finally, an interesting meeting of two males at the bath. Here's impressive great tailed grackle male 1





Here's no. 2















Here's the stretched neck dance they do together. I'm not sure of the purpose, because I've never seen them fight during this dance. Plus I think since the Juvies are on the wing, this doesn't have to do with mating. Anyone know, let me know.

After one left they other had a little drink.

No comments: