Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Hummer sighted and teenagers galore

I've been very disappointed at the lack of hummingbird sightings this year. I've got two feeders out and the Turks Cap and honey suckle are in bloom so I expect to see a lot of the little birds. Yesterday was the first sighting since my last post about them way way back saying they were back from Mexico. And the bird wasn't feeding, it was buzzing around my juniper tree in the front yard. I've never found a nest, but I suspect the little birds nest in that tree. I'll keep my eyes peeled, and this blog updated.

Lots of teenagers out though. I got a nice picture of male and female cardinals last Saturday while it was raining. I've noticed Wrens and Blue Jays out in numbers too, not to mention the ubiquitous house sparrows, starlings and grackles. The house sparrows and starlings are ballooning in numbers this year and harassing native birds. I've seen some sights on starling control and I'll look at ways to reduce their impact on the native species.

No comments: