Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sharp shinned Hawk and Owl Pellet exploded!

Was moving a water bucket along the side of the house when I heard a song bird in the Juniper. I looked up just in time to see an explosion of wings and noise to match as a hawk came out of the tree about 12 feet from me and flew under the branches and up to the peak of the neighbors roof. It sat there looking at me, so I could get a good look at it. It's wings were grey, belly was pale and it had a small head. And it was relatively small. It had been skulking about the feeder trying to take an unsuspecting songbird.

Was gone by the time i retrieved my camera, but judging by the descriptions, I think it was a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. Could have been a Coopers, but I think it was smaller. I've been seeing lots of Red-tail action in the'hood too, but they seem to prefer doves and Jays, while this hawk wasn't much bigger than Doves or jays.

Also pulled apart the owl pellet. Looks like he ate a dark grey bird. Found feathers and a whole foot along with hollow bones.

Pictures to come.

No comments: