Friday, January 04, 2008

Back from too long a layoff....

Wow. Didn't mean to away so long.

Got busy with a DVD project, Thanksgiving and then Xmas and my brother 50th brithday that was combined with New Year's celebration.

This is a bit of a down time in the backyard as mostly the year round birds dominate and aren't to interesting to blog about. Lots of flocks of grackles and starlings in their blander winter garb, and the occasional white wing dove and house sparrow.

I have had daily visits from Carolina wrens looking for insects on the front porch every morning. And I hear Carolina Chickadess in the juniper trees almost everyday.

And I've seen Redtail hawks more frequently including a close fly by a few days ago as we drove downtown.

As for visitors, the ruby-crowned Kinglet has been back since Dec. 3 (my first sighting anyway) checking the bark of Pecan trees for insects. And today, I heard a single note call I didn't recognize. It was high-pitched and sharp. After looking around for a while, I found it in the bare Pecan tree in my neighbors back yard.

He didn't look familiar either, so I grabbed my binocs and camera and sure enough, he was a new sighting!

A Northern Flicker, a fairly large bird in the woodpecker family.

Here's some snaps.





No comments: