Saturday, January 12, 2008

Great Horned Owl and More

Just a few nights ago, I was awakened at about 4:15 a.m. by loud hooting in my backyard. @nd time in a week I'd heard an Great Horned Owl back there. Today, I was transplanting a few shrubs when I came across a 3.5 inch long owl pellet that I'm assuming came from a Great Horned Owl. See Pix below:






A pellet is what the Owl regurgitates after eating a meal whole. It contains the indigestibles-bones, featers and such. What's cool about them, is by picking them apart, you can discover what the meal was. I did that before on a smaller pellet and posted the result on this blog. Stay tuned, I'll pick this one apart as well and let you know what I got!

Oh and I saw another Ruby-Crowned Kinglet a couple of days ago in the back yard Pecan tree.

No comments: