Monday, May 15, 2006

Fledgling care

If you have enough trees and birds, you'll find fledglings on the ground. Unless they are about to be eaten by your cat or dog, leave them. The parent bird is nearby and will come by to feed them.

I say this because my neighbor Barbara has a kitty that's quite the huntress. She started stalking something in my yard and Barbara followed her only to find a fledgling dove. She brought the bird to me to care for and I agreed, even though my own inclination is to set the bird in the nearest tree and leave it to nature. I plunked the little guy is a box with lots of shredded paper and it sat there happily all night.

In the morning, I scooped him up and set bird and paper in an Easter basket. Then the basket went onto a tree limb by my house. He was still sitting there when I left. Mom and Dad will come get him or he'll soon try striking off on his own again. All the websites said this was best. Here he was as I left him

No comments: