Monday, May 22, 2006

Eastern Screech Owl seen

I've heard these guys in the neighborhood for at least a year now, but I've never seen them. My across-the-street neighbors have seen them frequently in the twilight in their front yard pecan tree and mine. Finally, last night, Barbara from across the street invited me over to see the gray morph Eastern Screech Owl (this is a photo I took later) sitting on a lower branch of their tree. It calmly stared at us as we stared back. I saw him very well with my binoculars, but when I went to get my camera, he flew off. Although, they blend in very well and are very hard to see because they sit stock still, Barbara knows to look for them when she hears birds squawk as though they are being murdered.

I happened to look up as I went back to my house and I saw a very beautiful raptor flying over head. Pointed wings and lots of white underneath, but I haven't narrowed it down yet. I'll post my guess when I have a chance to study the bird book.

No comments: