Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Owls babies, House sparrow babies and more babies

Well, Owl Cam Fest 2007 is over as the Owlets have left the box and are learning to be adults. See the owlcam link to the right to check out pix of the owlets and the owl box.

My neighbors, Mike and Barbara have two House Sparrow nests, where else, but in there house. Well, the outside, near vents. Here are the photos.




Well the builders of nest one weren't so adept. At least two, and possibly three, of the tiny young 'uns fell out. One broke his leg and was sent to hospital where he got a toothpick splint and is expected to recover. The other got shoved back into the nest by me and Mike. Eventually, the stopped pouring out. Here's the non-broken leg fella.



That was the weekend of 19th. This last weekend, my neighbors to the south, Fernando and Nate had a little house sparrow on their front porch too. But this fellow was a fledgeling and was supposed to be out there. The parents were never more than about 20 feet away.



This weekend, I kept seeing this mockingbird on the fence between Fernando and Nate's house and mine. Being quite dull, it didn't occur to me that that meant there was a nest nearby. Duh. I took a picture of it though.



Today though, I saw her again with an insect in her mouth just sitting on that fence. I approached and she didn't move. I got really close to my Afghan Pine tree as I was maneuvering for a good shot and the bird got a little agitated. Only then did it occur to me that I was not only between her and her nest, I was probably right next to it.

Sho'nuff. For some reason they prefer smaller trees and nest from 5 to 8 feet off the ground in these smaller trees or bushes. I looked into the pine, saw a tangle of twigs, pulled back a branch and saw 3 little mouths stick straight up for food.




Eyes aren't even open.

Mom swooped at me a few times but not too close. Her she is eyeing me.



In 2 or three weeks, they'll fledge and look like this fellow I snapped at the main PO a few weekends ago. Not a great picture, but it gives you an idea.



Lastly, I went to pick up my brother at the airport on Memorial Day, and saw a scissortailed Flycatcher as I drove down to the pickup zone. I was just sitting by the curb. Didn't get a picture, but here's one I stole from the web.



Ton's of birds out there including cliff swallows and lots of field birds. Might have to head out there just for the birds sometime.

1 comment:

Kirsten B said...

thank you sooo much.i just found two little baby birds in my sisters chimney, and they look kinda like the house sparrow.this was a big help identifying thank you!