Friday, May 11, 2007

Hummers, Woodpeckers, Owls and Red Tailed Hawk

Since the last blog, over 2 weeks ago, The hummers continue to come and feed, but I still haven' gotten a shot of them. Only see them in the morning and in the evening.

The Wrens have stopped their calling. Perhaps this mating season is over and done for the moment. The cardinals, however continue to call, mark territory and attract mates.

Now, the Mockingbirds are getting into the act. Took a shot or two of them, but they didn't come out well. Did get a shot of Grackle love though! Well, actually Gracklecourting. Thess pix show the male dancing in display to the female. These were taken last weekend.


Also, a red-bellied wood pecker is back to work on my front pecan tree. Also, the starlings that chased the woodpecker from their other hole are making frequent trips to the hole. I suspect they are rearing young in there.


The big excitement was Wednesday the 9th. I heard a dove screaming holy murder, turned to look in that direction and saw a red tailed hawk cruise right over my head, about 30 feet up. Beautiful bird, but no chance to get a shot as the cruise lasted less than 5 seconds and I didn't see him again.

About two weeks ago, about 5:40 a.m. I heard the great horned owl hooting outside my bedroom window. Never saw it. Just heard it. So they remain in the area.

Also the screech owlets are getting big. Click the first link in the Links List to the right of this blog. Very cool.

More news as I get it.

No comments: