Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wow, long time no blog. Hummers Gone, Hooters here

Well, the hummingbirds have been gone for about a month and a half now. Just yesterday evening about 6:30, my neighbors Mike and Barbara called me over to their house. They had the Eastern Screech owls living and breathing in their yard this spring. This time, they heard hooting. That's an owl, but no little screech owl. It was a pair of Great Horned owls two house up in an Elm tree. I tried to get a shot but no luck.

These are magnificent looking, impressive birds. We all involuntarily gasped when they took off and fly away, their wingspan is so impressive. That reminded me that I saw a hawk in my yard a few weekends back, attacking a sparrow nest in a bush in my side yard. Didn't get a shot of that either, darn it.

That same weekend, I saw a Carolina wren on my front porch, eating insects and checking out the nest I put up there in a hanging basket. I was hope he'd claim it as his own for breeding. But I haven't seen him since.

I put up two new thistle feeders in the attempt to attract finches. No luck yet.

My Oriole Feeder never attracted Orioles, just hummers. I'll try again in the spring.

And I'll try to stay up to date here from now on. Really. ;-)

No comments: